Personalized digital care for OCD
BT Steps is Waypoint’s web-based cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) program for obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). BT Steps guides users through nine steps that teach skills to support the self-management of OCD symptoms. These skills include:
- The identification of triggers of obsessions
- The development of personalized goals for therapy
- Exposure and ritual prevention homework sessions, the active therapeutic element of CBT for OCD
- Fine-tuning exposure and ritual prevention skills
- Involving friends and family members in the management of OCD symptoms
- Coping with distress during homework sessions
- Preventing the return of OCD symptoms
BT Steps features activities, exercises, and multimedia content to engage patients, emulate the best practices of expert cognitive behavior therapists and provide users with a customized self-management program for OCD.
A randomized clinical trial published in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry showed BT Steps to be as effective for many patients as 12 hours of face-to-face therapy, reducing the amount of time spent obsessing and ritualizing by 3.4 hours per day.
Beginning in 2011, Waypoint will use funding from a National Institutes of Mental Health grant it was awarded in collaboration with the Center for Psychological Consultation to revise and study BT Steps in a randomized clinical trial. The study will evaluate the incremental clinical benefit associated with different levels and types of coaching to support BT Steps, as well as the effectiveness of the revised BT Steps web application.
To discuss ways Waypoint’s computerized cognitive behavior therapy programs can support your products, please contact us.